It’s that time again! I’m really happy to be doing these monthly updates. They are keeping me focused on what needs to be done and what has been done, and they also keep my close family (Hi Mom! Hi Michelle!) who are helping me plan on board with what I’ve been up to. But, most of all, knowing that I have to do one of these posts each month motivates me to get something done!
That said, I realize that this is a healthy living blog and not everyone is into wedding planning. So, I won’t be offended at all if you skip over these posts! That said, let’s get to it:
Venue— Reserved and (partially) paid for
- Caterer — I have a list of caterers I’m working through calling and setting up appointments with.
- Alcohol — After reading this post by Meghann at Meals and Miles about how she stocked her bar, I’m confident we can do a full bar at our wedding as well. I’ve reached out to a couple people I know to see if they would like to be our bartender.
- Escort Cards — I’m probably just going to have a chalkboard sign, and the groomsmen will seat people. Since we’re doing the ceremony and reception in the same place, it seems like it will work.
Guest List My Dress— Love it! My Veil— Something borrowed
Bolero for over dress— It arrived, and it is PERFECT! I can’t wait for you to see it. Everyone who has seen it with the dress says it is just that special something that makes the dress “pop” — if you’re looking for something simple, elegant and handmade check out Wearable Artz — Amy really did a perfect job.
- Hair accessories for bride/bridesmaids? — Some yellow flower accessory for all of us — I spoke with someone recently about making these.
- Ties/socks for the groomsmen/ring bearer — We decided this month that along with the suits of their own choosing (grey, but mismatched), the groomsmen will also wear a yellow tie of their own choosing. We will be buying the socks as part of the groomsman gifts.
- Shoes for the bride — I’ve actually changed my mind about this, more about it later.
Guest Book— Ordered! See below 🙂 Save the Date Invitations— Check! Here is my post about the Save the Dates.
- Invitations — a dear friend and groomsman is designing them. I fully trust him, so I’m not worried about this at all.
- Welcome bags for out of town guests — This is something we will deal with a little closer to the wedding. I have some ideas.
- Bridesmaid dresses — We’ve talked a little more about this. Since one bridesmaid found a dress she loves, we’re going to have her buy that one and once it comes in, decide on the other three based on the color/fabric/cut of that one.
- Groomsmen attire — Zach discussed this with the groomsmen. They have all decided on their own grey suits. Since I told them all that a full suit isn’t necessary, I think we’ll have some great variety here that will look really nice.
- Cake — Shannon (my talented cake artist friend) was super sweet and dropped off a slice of lemon cake with vanilla filling to me last Thursday. It was exactly what I want and since the lemon cake is yellow, will go perfectly with the yellow and grey decor. (I’m doing a naked cake, so the cake will be visible — no frosting).
- Centerpieces — Yarn-wrapped wine bottles (see below), 3 per table Handmade runners and tea lights.
Officiant— Got an email from my officiant, and he sent me a few options of ceremony layouts. Zach and I will go over these and tweak them, then set up a meeting with Adam — can’t wait for you to meet him, he’s awesome, and I know he will make our ceremony SO special. Photographer— My SIL to be is a wedding photographer, having a photographer friend be her second shooter.
- DJ – Zach is handling this
The “somethings”— Check! Veil, earrings, bracelet, dress Jewelry— Check! I have a lovely pair of blue earrings and I’ve commissioned a local jewelry designer to do a nice simple necklace for me, and of course my great-grandmother’s bracelet.
- Our wedding bands — I have to go in March to have my engagement ring cleaned and serviced. Will be looking then.
- Bridesmaid Gifts — This is pretty much done, I just have to pay for everything.
- Groomsmen Gifts — Zach is handling this
- Rehearsal Dinner — Right now, we’re thinking about doing a catered BBQ at someone’s house. Since our house search has been postponed until after the wedding, we will need to do this at a friend’s house.
Wedding Registries— Macy’s, Target and online for cash gifts.
- Thank you cards — Love the idea of a photo of us on the day holding a Thank You! sign
Hotel Room block— this was taken care of when we booked the venue
- Hair person — I think we have this
- Garter — I’m probably just going to make this, something like this
- Our toasting flutes — Here are a few I like
- Cake cutter/spatula
- Day-of Coordinator(s) — a few friends would be perfect for this task 🙂 *hint, hint*
Programs— I have this covered, just need to order the materials and put them together
- Cake Topper? – Will buy a flower topper for the cake from a local florist. The cake topper may be my only real flowers besides the boutineers, because….
- Flowers — I’m thinking about going purely with the DIY/paper flower route. More about that later, but look at this link for an idea of where I’m headed.
Songs for the ceremony
- Ceremony Readings — I’m going with readings from Children’s books. I have two picked out already.
“First Dance” Songs
- Bridal Shower — I was informed last time I posted that this isn’t a “to-do” for ME, but I want to leave this here for the future when I write recaps of them to link up.
- Bachelorette Party
- Bachelor Party
- Table Numbers — Red wine on tables with printable table number labels.
- Favors — homemade lemon cookies in gray CD sleeves (already purchased). Need stickers to seal sleeves.
- Other reception/ceremony decor — need chalkboards, various sized jars and bottles, backdrop…
- Photo booth — I think I’ve definitely decided to go with a DIY photo “area” instead of a traditional booth (they are SO expensive). I think people will have just as much fun taking their own photos, especially since I’m encouraging everyone to bring cameras with them.
- Flower Girl attire — This is cute
- Honeymoon!? — Originally, Zach and I decided to forgo the honeymoon since we’ll be trying to buy a house very close to the wedding, but recently I’ve been looking for deals, and I’m starting to think (hope?) we can do it, if even for a couple of days.
Here are the things we have worked on this month:
Had more engagement photos taken:
As you can see from the photo above, we got some more engagement photos taken! It’s really nice having a sister-in-law who is a wedding photographer. We just hopped into her studio after she was finished shooting another client and barely took up any of her time. Here’s some more from that shoot:
Loving them! I needed some more professional photos done to add to our guest book, which I also ordered this month. See below for more on that.
Started on DIY yarn-wrapped bottle centerpieces:
Step one in this process was gathering empty wine bottles. This turned out to be easy as pie! I just asked friends to hold onto their bottles, and I had quite a stockpile when my neighbor Ashley reminded me that she works at a wine bar. Just like that, I had two cases of empty bottles as well as the bottles I had already collected. We will have about 20 tables if everyone comes, so I’m going to make 40 bottles.
Without further ado, here are the first two bottles:
So, they aren’t perfect, but I really think once everything is on the table (we will also have table runners and candles), it’s going to look great. I’m still playing with the flowers, I just bought the ones above so I could see the full effect. I think it looks great! Bottles that jut out at the top as opposed to a gradual slope don’t wrap as nicely, so as I go, I will either collect more that have the gradual slope or wrap them all to the neck. I like the way both bottles look, however. What do you think?
Attended a Bridal Expo:
Yesterday, I attended a Bridal Expo! Courtney had a booth there, so originally she offered to sneak me in as a “helper” so I wouldn’t have to pay admission. I did help her, but I still paid admission, because it was only $5, and you were registered to win great prizes!
Unfortunately, the Bridal Expo wasn’t really that helpful for me. I did get some more information about rental of a dance floor (my venue doesn’t have one), but I was a little disappointed by the variety of the vendors there. However, one booth did stand out to me:
Courtney and her new partner Mark’s booth was the best, in my opinion! Courtney was the only photographer featuring Boudoir photos, which I’ve seen all over the wedding blogs lately. If you’d like more information on Courtney and/or Mark’s offered services, please go here or here.
Oh, and I saw this gorgeous dress, that I have to share:
Ordered our Guest Book:
We went with a Shutterfly guest book. These are so neat! Basically, you go to Shutterfly and design your own photo book with spaces for your guests to write in their own messages. How neat is that!? Click here to see what ours looks like.
I got a great deal on our book. Normally these are about $60 with $11 for shipping. Since Shutterfly was having a 50% off deal for Valentine’s Day, and I found a code online for free shipping on orders over $30, I ended up only paying $36 for ours! The extra $6 was for a “storytelling” style of book ($4.99 extra) and I also added a clear “Memorabilia Pocket” to the inside cover ($1.99 extra). I think the Memorabilia pocket will come in handy! I’m thinking about making another of these for our wedding pictures. I’ll think about that later, though!
Question of the Day:
Did you DIY any aspects of your wedding?